Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Quick catch up

Here is my 70 yo birthday selfie.  I couldn't get a good picture.  They all looked like a teenager making faces at the camera.  Here I am trying to hold my eyes open so I look like I have more than slits.   Hahaha. 


Also, the day is nice so I had the door open and Buddy was laying in the sunshine.  I thought this one turned out pretty well.  Kind of like a boudoir picture for dogs. 





Well, my energy is on the way up again.  Thank goodness.  My kids bought me a Fitbit for my birthday.   In case you don't know, Fitbit is a watch-like contraption that records your steps/walks/runs, blood pressure/heartbeat, and sleep.   Anyway, I had been wanting one but was too cheap to buy it in case it disappointed me.  I am far from an athlete but was curious about a lot of the information the watch offered.  Do you call it a watch?  It does tell date/time.  It doesn't matter. 

Buddy and I took a good, but not extra long this morning.  The walk was 1,800+ steps.  Wow, that sounds like a lot and that is only one of two daily walks.  Unfortunately, the aim is 10,000 steps so, nope, gotta long way to go. 

As my blood sugar gets balanced again, I look forward to seeing how far I can push myself.  So much fun.  (Has anyone watched the tv program Miranda with Miranda Hart?  The mother always says So Much Fun and I had visions of her as I said it.)

It also recorded my sleep and that was interesting.  It graphed the light sleep, deep sleep and awake moments in the night.  I'm going to read up on sleep next and see how my nights compare to what is considered a good night's sleep. 

More later ....



20 comments:

  1. Amazing what a small piece of technology can tell you about yourself. I'm not sure I would want to know how poorly I'm doing. Love the pic of Buddy and I think you look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was one of the reasons I didn't want to spend my own money on it - I was afraid it would tell me the sad truth. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Nice photos! Glad to hear you're on the mend. And wow, a Fitbit -- nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying the Fitbit. It is a knock-off version but I am quite satisfied with the info I get since I am not a runner.

      Delete
  3. You and Buddy both look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I love my little guy. My oldest Grand Girl has a cell phone so she can check in with each of her separated parents. I have gotten in the habit of send me pictures of me or Buddy or crafts or things from my walk. She loves some of them and she may feel like I'm invading her space sometimes but I want her to feel like she is in contact with me since I don't get to see them as much anymore. She'll probably block me when she gets older - just kidding. LOL

      Delete
  4. I love my Fitbit. The first thing I do with my first cup of coffee in the morning is check my Fitbit dashboard to see how well I slept.

    Love your photos. I can't take a good selfie and gave up trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing the same thing. It is so much fun. I find I want to take it off at night but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Learning about my sleep patterns is one of my driving forces. Buddy and I are both taking only face pictures until we each loose a little weight. I love to tease him that he has back fat - it doesn't faze him at all. Haha.

      Delete
  5. You have beautiful skin Barbara - very nice photo.
    And the boudoir photo is pretty damn cute too.
    I think I'd like a fitbit...for awhile. I fear it would end up like that coat rack I had once in the bedroom that I was supposed to walk on. But it made a better clothes hanger to me after a while. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My skin has been pretty decent since my teenage years which worked out well since I didn't wear make-up as a hippie chick for a long time. My mother had good skin so I can think her for that - however, she also passed on the diabetes, so thanks for that - no one ever said.

      Delete
  6. I have the apple watch (just about the same thing as Fitbit) and I really love it. Although; sometimes it tells me to GET UP; kinda bossy. :)
    But it does inspire me to move more.
    Love the pictures; it's hard to take a selfie for me too! YOU look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not setup the getup reminder. Hahaha. I figured I'd ease my way into that. Just having it on my wrist is like a guilty conscious whenever I turn my wrist and the green light flashes status. I know that I would be even worse if I didn't have Buddy to walk. After my dear Springer Spaniel died I wasn't going to get another pet but retirement (and love of dogs) convinced me I would not get out the door if someone wasn't giving me "that look".

      Delete
  7. Looking good lady. Great picture. I have the Garmin version and love it. I don't even try for 10000 steps since I hit 80. I try to make 6000+ as an achievable goal. I think setting your goal too high can lead to depression if you don't make it all the time. Love the sleep function. That was my main purpose for the gadget. I want to make sure deep sleep is in the majority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will lower my expectations too. It would be great for my diabetes if I did walk that much but that will have to wait until it is under better control. Sleep was my main concern also. My deep sleep was less that 50% for the past two nights. That might be another reason I am so tired but I haven't had the chance to research it yet.

      Delete
  8. I have a iWatch and I love it for telling me when to stand, when to move etc!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are braver than me. I didn't set that function. I do feel like I am accomplishing something even though I am not pushing myself yet and the calories burned are not very much but that is ok. I will keep stretching myself little by little and find that just right point.

      Delete
  9. It is great you are feeling you have more energy Barbara. Enjoy the new toy...a valuable one to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really try to stay away from gadgets. I feel like Big Brother is probably out there watching. However, I am pleased with the information it is giving me and lucky Buddy will probably get some longer walks because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm sitting here watching Mindhunters (thanks for the recommendation), and agreeing that my dog keeps me moving more too. Not much, but a little. :)

    ReplyDelete