Thursday, August 26, 2021

Good News and a Funny Story

Last night after I posted my woe-is-me post I drove to the auto repair shop to drop off my car so they could be working on it while I was still sleeping.  I knew I had to bite the bullet because I didn't want to be locked in the house Labor Day weekend - unless I chose to, of course. 

The shop is not too far from the house so I popped over, dropped my keys in the door safety slot, and called Uber to take me home.  You hear it coming, don't you?  Yep, I had not taken the extra house key with me.  

So the Uber got almost to my house and I reached for the key and remembered it was hanging in the apartment. I explained the situation and the driver told me how to add a return trip to the shop and we headed back.  I got my hide-a-key from my car and logged in a return trip to my apartment.  

You'd think I would be even more depressed after my little pity-party over the loss of a trailer and truck contest, but no, this was such a little challenge.  Uber ended up costing me $30 in total, about $10 per leg of the trip.  

I'm a willow, I can bend.  Does anybody remember this line from Lily Tomlin in Working 9 to 5.  I've adopted it as one of my personality outlooks. 

The repairs to my car were $333 and I was prepared for $500 so total win. 

Then even better news. Kathleen reminded me that there is a UT 
Dental School near the medical center.  The funny thing was that the Dental School is located on the campus where I got my Covid shots.  For the first shot, I barely glanced at it walking in but the second shot was a much, much longer line and I stared at the sign for the Dental School for quite some time.  

This month's budget is blown but next month I'll be signing up.  I figure my diabetic mouth will be a great training ground for some young dentists.  I'm so relieved to have one chore accomplished and the other with a workable plan. 

More later ...

8 comments:

  1. There was a time when my girls were young, money was tight, I took them to the beauty schools to get their hair done. My acupuncturist in Los Angeles is a teaching school. It's been my experience that the work done by students in schools is often better than the working professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I can imagine dropping off keys as you did, and reaching the house with no keys. Lots of Uber rides for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference a day makes. Glad things are looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are feeling a little more optimistic today. There is nothing wrong with a pity party as long as it doesn't go on and on. I have my share. A definite win with the car repair and dental college. Wonder if there's one in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the repair was less than expected. Dental school is a good idea. When I was in college I use to go there for cleaning. They are watched closely and are gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Great news. I am happy for you, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have paid quite a few locksmiths in my day...usually due to locking keys in car...Ugh. Once had to climb a ladder and squeeze through a window of the house when I was 8 months pregnant. Keys can be a burden. :) Keep us posted on how the dental clinic works out.

    ReplyDelete