Thursday, August 5, 2021

Another Life Lesson Learned

Today I went to Great Clips to get a trim because I thought they would soon get busy with school starting this month.  There were only two stylists on duty and one was a man.  I don't have a problem with a man stylist.  I had just never seen a man stylist in this salon even though they cut men and women's hair.  

So the guy, let's call him Sam, comes up to get me.  He has a nice haircut so I think I'll be ok.  As I sit down I see his diploma.  He has a Texas Barber diploma.  Is that different than a beauty school diploma I wonder?  

My hair only needs a small trim so he could pretty much follow its shape.  After I'm wrapped up in my cape, he pulls out the trimmers.  Before I can say Whoa, he is mowing my hair in the back. 

I think ok, the back can be shortish (I usually have whispies with a fuller bowl above).  I let out a sigh of relief when he puts that trimmer down but he reaches for an even smaller trimmer  (is there a difference between human and dog trimmers I now wonder?) 

By this point, there is no saving my hair so I just relax.  The stylist next to us did two hair cuts in the same amount of time it took him to do mine.  I decided to be a good sport and not let him know how totally freaked out I was.  Hahahaha,

I now know what I would look like as a man - Not Attractive.  My hair is so short that I'm thinking it might stand up straight next time I get out of the shower.  Oh well, I always wanted to try one of those spikey haircuts.  

I'm pretty sure I am going to find a real stylist to use when this grows out.  Oh, Lordy. 


12 comments:

  1. You were a very good sport! He should have asked how short you wanted your hair before he started cutting, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That happened to Jim with his last haircut. It too, was at Great Clips. A definite miscommunication. He wanted a buzz cut which means short. Well the stylist thought it meant no hair. He's still trying to grow it out enuf to have a decent cut. But the good news is - hair does grow back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bless you. Hopefully the 6 weeks it will take to grow out will pass quickly. You were a good sport!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem with places like Great Clips is that you often can't get the same stylist twice if you're a walk-in, which in your case may be a blessing. LOL Sorry you had a bad experience, but fortunately hair grows back and in a week or two you may just love your cut. I wear mine really short and sometimes my hairdresser doesn't get it short enough for me. Basically, I want to wash it and go. Low maintenance. Or no maintenance is me. LOL Have a great day, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a woman’s nightmare cut for sure. It only lasts a few weeks which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so can relate. For my last hair cut the (walk ins welcome) beautician turned me into a man also. Made me realize that was not a good look for me. They say a bad hair cut only lasts two weeks. Took me a bit longer. Hope yours grows out quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lived my nightmare! I hate getting my hair cut by someone new and I will face that come this fall. I'm glad you have the ability to relax about it. Ya, I know it's only hair and who knows you might like to get some gel made spike it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What in the heck?!? Did he even ask you what you wanted?? Well, thank goodness it grows back, but dang! So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not know texas laws but when I went to Barber school it was a completely different licenses and skill set. I started in cosmetology and did not enjoy the witchy women so I changed to being a barber. Oh it is very different training and testing for your license. Thankfully now I know both but it is different. I'm sorry this happened to you. This is my greatest fear each time I move to a new city/state. Everyone says, Oh you have to find new doctors and dentists. Yes true, but it is far more stressful to have to find a new stylist if you ask me! Thankfully hair grows faster in warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are MUCH too kind! Did he even ask you what you wanted?
    I suppose the upside is that it's hot as heck and you won't have to worry about doing your hair for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, no! I just recently went a lot shorter, but I asked for it.

    ReplyDelete