Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Foreign Films

I've been watching a foreign tv program.  Apparently, there are a lot of Finnish folks who go to the coast of Spain to retire or in winter months. This program is a police procedural.  The female police lead is Finnish and speaks to the Finnish locals in Finnish.  The male police lead is Spanish and talks to the local Spaniards in Spanish.  When the Finns and Spanish are talking to each other they speak in English.   

Even though half of the program I am reading the closed captions, I still have a problem hearing some of the characters because of their accents and if I have to stop and think about what it is they said, I will be two lines behind in captions.  Hahaha. 

To add a little spice to that, the older Finnish woman and the younger Spanish man are having a little May-December romance, in English, of course.  

Just a bit of silliness in the mist of world troubles. 

More later ... 



10 comments:

  1. I love foreign-language films. This one sounds like I would be rewinding a bit if my attention wanders for a minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Closed captions are great when dealing with foreign accents! We have them on all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love foreign films! Back when I had Netflix they went through a time where they were offering all kinds of great films from other countries. I just looked on YouTube and found one of them. This one is from Iran of all places. It's called The Song of Sparrows. You can watch it here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFvv1LgCN-Y

    And if you can ever get ahold of a copy of Departures, I think you will love it. But you'll need tissues for that one. Here's the trailer:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTP_wRSHQw

    And then there's Lion. Another moving film. Trailer here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNI9o06vqo

    Yes, I love foreign films, as you can see. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watch shows from Britain/Ireland/Scotland for the scenery and for the accents, but even though these are in English I often need to rely on the captions until my ears adjust!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find I am often too slow in reading cations so I stop the program often. Most of the captioned programs I really enjoy however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like foreign language films. I'm lost enough in English films. I have recently started using my closed caption on Downton Abbey and that helps with the British accents. We all need distractions right now and whatever works for whoever is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to have issues understanding British people on TV. It's funny to me since they are speaking ENGLISH, but I don't comprehend the accents well. I too use closed captions more and more these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for closed caption. If they have accents, I would need the captions even when they spoke English.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds intriguing. What's the title and where can I watch it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the tv program you are watching? I find I use the closed captions for most British films as well as other foreign films. I don't want to miss what is being said even on the British films.

    ReplyDelete