Friday, June 28, 2024

Sharing a little smile and random thoughts


 I came across this old picture of the youngest Grand Girl.  Love the Red Heels. 

I had another eye check-up yesterday because the doctor decided I needed another vitreous exam (the gel-like fluid that fills your eye. It's full of tiny fibers that attach to your retina (the light-sensitive layer of tissue at the back of the eye.) 


Once again, I passed with flying colors.  I am so thankful.  My hearing has become so bad that I would be lost without the ability to read. 

I am still losing weight on the Ozempic, slowly but surely.  The stomach problems have lessened plus I now understand what to do with the symptoms. I still wouldn't recommend this drug.  I'll let you know what I've lost after the next dr. visit. 

I have heard from so many Type 2 diabetics saying how great Mounjaro is at keeping their A1C (sugar levels) near perfect but that they are now unable to get the drug. Hello, let's put people to work and make that stuff. There is no reason to have a shortage. I wish the weight loss drugs were nearly as efficient for Type 1. Oh well, I'm thankful for what I've got.  

I finally watched Oppenheimer.  I was reluctant but found (what I could hear) that the science/exploration was fascinating.  I'm going to have to rewatch it with captions on.  Of course, the outcome is a bitter pill, and I won't get into that. Then, I started a new library book that was in my queue.  The Bitter Past by Bruce Borgos.  The story is set in the present, in Nevada, near all the testing sites, and flips back and forth from the 1950s Russian spy point of view.   I enjoyed it if you are interested. 

My daughter and her girlfriend have started having me over on Thursday nights (her work-at-home day) for the supper of my choosing. Last night was the third week. We had chicken, rice, and broccoli casserole, and it was so good, with such a cozy, down-home feeling.  I am really enjoying both the weekly companionship and the delicious food.   

I'm still trying out my new Electrical service provider. I hope to save a little money this year. I'm also praying we don't have another heat dome settle over us like last year. During one hurricane season, we had extensive flooding because a dome settled in over the rain for several days and could not move on. We got so much more rain/flooding than we would have from just the hurricane. Please, no more domes.   

If I had a young family member looking into a field to study, meteorology might be an up-and-coming field. 


I gave my daughter one of my favorite pictures for her new house, so my oldest Grand Girl, the artist, is painting a picture of my guppies to hang in its place.  This picture of my aquarium is not clear, but you can tell they are colorful.  I can't wait.  

Now, the most essential part: Like Margaret, I don't want to constantly complain, but being unable to find my words drives me crazy, and it's getting worse. I've been referred to a neurologist, which means more doctor appointments and tests. I'm not ready for that... yet. It is in the near future. 

Also, my hearing has drastically decreased.  I'm so tired of having to tell people sorry I can't hear.  Damn, getting old is a drag. ..

More later ...


9 comments:

  1. Aging is hard for sure! And that photo of your granddaughter is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I believe we are roughly the same age,68. I can't hear for shit and when they told me $6k for hearing aids I decided I will say, "What did you say?" a while longer.
    I can't read now due to my right eye so I am hoping soon I can get back to reading. I so miss it. TV has been a godsend and I am so lucky to have my nieces share their codes with me so I am not paying for all these channels.
    Serious question - Do you find that nouns are the words you miss most often? I'd be very curious.
    We are in a heat hell here but it is the south and it is summer. 103 Monday but here it is Friday and it's much cooler at 97. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 74 this year. How can that be? Anyway, the noun question is interesting. I've always thought it was the tone of the person speaking. Even in the audiobooks I listen to, there are narrators I just can't hear well. I'll pay attention now to see if it is nouns. It is forcing me to be a loner even more than I already am.

      Delete
  3. Casseroles can be really yummy comfort food, can't they. Glad you're having those weekly dinners and get-togethers with your daughter and her friend.

    My hearing sucks too. I really need to go get tested for hearing aids (practically everyone I know has them now!) but I'm putting it off, which is stupid of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told one (but I don't know if it is true) is that you need to get hearing aids as soon as you need them because without your hearing will continue to degrade and the hearing aid will keep that from happening some. At this point, I need the tuba horn, like the dog in the old RCA ads.

      Delete
  4. Getting old is not for the faint of heart!

    The meal with your family sounds lovely. Something to look forward to…

    Good luck with the neurologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we've started this tradition of old family recipes, I'm just delighted and looking for more reminder recipes on Pinterest.

      Delete
  5. Wow, it could have been me writing your blog. My hearing is about g9ne and I need to get hearing aids but I don't want to. I use closed captioning for everything tv. Finally got my right eye fixed so I can see again. The grand is beyond cute in the red heels. I'm getting ready to head north in a week to see family and especially grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safe travels and remember to rest your eyes, maybe drops, along the way.

      Delete