Monday, March 2, 2020

Dick Tracy comics

Suz at BusyBeeSuz brought up Gravel Gertie and a funny story about her Grandmother.  I got to thinking about Sunday comics.  Remember when there was a big section, in color, devoted to age-old favorites and newly introduced characters.  I met Charlie Brown, Lil' Abner, and Dick Tracy there. 

I remember a character from Dick Tracy called Sparkle Plenty.  My youngest Grand Girl who is all arms and legs and movement loves pink and purple sparkly things and I often refer to her as Sparkle Plenty.  So, I decided to look up the backstory and found this amazing comic cover. 


.


Oh my goodness.  I forgot about B.O. Plenty and didn't know that is where I heard of Gravel Gertie until I read Suz post.  I do remember both of their drawings now that I've looked them up.  

Ok, confess.  Those of you with iphone watches - don't you feel like Dick Tracy when you talking on them?  Haha.  I confess everything comes around again.  

More later....

11 comments:

  1. I think I'm the only person on earth who never read the comics or comic books. But you are right about everything that is old comes back around again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. This must be one of the few things you didn't collect then. Seriously, I would love to be going through your discard pile.

      Delete
  2. This is great. I remember the comics on Sunday, always my favorite part of the newspaper. I loved Peanuts and Family circle.
    Funny about the smart watch; I feel like Maxwell Smart in Get Smart. Do you remember that show?? He had a phone in his shoe; the watch is more convenient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, yes. I forgot about him. My sister always refers to her watch as her Dick Tracy watch so I will remind her about Get Smart. She'll love that.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I had forgotten about Gravel Gertie and B.O. Plenty but it all came back in a flash. I was an avid Sunday comic reader. Read them all from Terry and the Pirates, Lil Abner, to Mary Worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to remember something from the past that was a great favorite. The Sunday comics held such anticipation for me. I don't think kids have that type of anticipation anymore.

      Delete
  4. I would read the colour comics every weekend from my Grandma's newspaper. Oh yes -- Dick Tracey, L'il Abner, Pogo, Terry and the Pirates, even Mary Worth! They were all grist to my mill.

    I remember the names Gravel Gertie and B.O. Plenty but I must confess, not Sparkle Plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not into comics until my father gave me Classic comics. I read many classics there for the first time. It gave me a love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I do remember the Classics Comics. Interesting. I had forgotten about them. I should look and see what is out there for the Grand Girls. Although they are such book readers I don't know if they would be as interested as we were.

      Delete
  6. I loved Dick Tracy...and Nancy, and Brenda Starr...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG. Forgot about Brenda Starr. Hehehe. So fun.

    ReplyDelete