Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Grocery Shopping

My check hit the bank this morning so I logged in to place a pick-up order at Kroger.  For whatever reason, and I can think of a few, they have discontinued drive-up orders, for today anyway.  So, I threw on a dress and ran to the market.  There were a lot of people but not that much more than normal.  There were large baskets in the check out line but then I don't know what size family they have or who they are shopping for. 

I was able to get toilet paper and paper towels but some of the strangest things were out.  I only eat the solid white albacore tuna and there was none, but there was regular tuna so I got what I could get.  I eat a lot of tuna for my protein so the better quality is important.

It went on like that.  I eat specific food over and over to keep my sugar level and to make it easier to keep my cabinet stocked.  Here were some surprises. 

Peanut Butter.  I only eat Jiff Crunchy.  None.  I was that much surprised since that is a Hurricane basic but there were other brands of Creamy available.  I didn't realize Jiff Crunchy was a favorite.

Cereal.  When I eat cereal I usually eat Honey Nut Cheerios.  None on the shelf.  Regular Cheerios and thousands of other brands - shelves were quite full - so I had to go for the knock-off Honey Nuts in a bag.  You know the kind I mean?

Milk.  I don't drink a lot of milk but when I do I drink 2%.  So, there was whole milk and 1% milk so I got the 1% to go with my fake Honey Nuts. 

I got two small bags of dog food but forgot puppy pads.  Duh.  I plan on walking a lot more but they are a necessity.  Always out for emergency needs.  No. 1 item on my next trip.

I bought Boost Glucose Control for sudden drops in sugar.  I usually drink Rich Chocolate which is palatable.  I bought two cartons but ended up with 1 Vanilla.  Yuck.  It may turn out to be ok but I generally don't like Vanilla drinks.  Oh well, time to learn. 

I needed garbage bags.  I usually buy Kroger brand with the pull string which holds up pretty well.  Not today.  I picked up the kind where you tie the flaps.  They may work just fine but I'm frustrated that in my haste to get through the store I ended up buying some of the wrong items. 

I spent more than I have ever spent in my life but I do not feel that I took more than I should.  I have heard that a few stores are having the first hour of the day for seniors only.  I think that is nice but I haven't heard Kroger is doing that.  I did see that the reduced hours are 7:00 am to 10:00 pm.  Very reasonable for working people I think. 

I did talk to a couple of neighbors yesterday.  It seems we have all got cabin fever.  The schools are closed so the traffic is reduced significantly.  I've seen a lot of dog walkers I've never seen before.  I wonder if some of those people are working at home now. 

I looked at paperbacks in the grocery store but I have used the library for so long that I had sticker shock. 

Did you see this meme.  So funny. 




More later.....


9 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the coming baby boom called "quaranteens" but I've seen them named "coronials." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuna was gone from my store too so I ended up with sardines which I also like. Couldn't find almond milk so I'm trying banana milk. Crazy what the stores ran out of. Pasta shelves were totally naked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been yet but should soon. Cracked up at quaranteens and borrowed it for my sister to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s a great meme. So true too.

    I shopped last Saturday. My experience was similar regarding some of the regular items I buy. Everyone stayed away from each other which wasn’t a problem since I shopped early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was commenting on your blog, and I think I sent you a personal email instead!! So sorry about that...technology confuses me. I filled out the "contact" part instead of here. So please forgive the email, I would never do that intentionally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Always glad for a comment no matter how it gets to me.

      Delete
  6. Wish you all the best at keeping your blood sugar balanced, keeping stress and boredom at bay, and having to deal with all the second choices from the grocery shop. I had to laugh at the knock-off Honey Nuts...when my daughter started dating her now husband, they were discussing cereals, and she named a Kellogg's item to which he responded in awe..."Whoa...y'all got cereal in a BOX?!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the meme.
    Well, I'm glad you got most of what you needed, even if they're not your first choice. It's all surreal isn't it? I had dreams about paper products last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is fascinating what there was a Run on when Panic Buying started! In the worst of it some stores were Sold Out of everything but the Fear Factor Foods, which was hilarious! The Teen Grandchild and I were doing a Death Run for supplies and one Grocer only had 3 Jars of Pickled Pigs Feet left on an entire Isle of shelving! Well, now we know what nobody would eat even if they were gonna Starve she says Gallow's Humor Style. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete