Sunday, July 10, 2022

This and That

Gosh, I didn't realize it has been a month since I posted.  

I missed the Fourth of July and all the family to-dos because of a major sugar overdose of ice cream.  I really didn't eat that much (yeah, right) but the sugar in combination with a shortage of glucose monitor supplies sent me into a couple of days of having near death imaginings.  However, I did find out you could buy the transmitter I needed off Amazon.  What?  Diabetic supplies when your insurance won't pay for anymore?  And I just found out you can now get free GrubHub delivery with Prime membership.  Who knew? Anyway, sugar is back normal now.  

I drove out to see my son and his family yesterday.  The Artist Grand Girl has the cutest parrot.  I really love that bird and he loved my earrings, eyeglasses and fingernails.  Had a great time chomping on all three. 





Isn't he the cutest?  Unfortunately, I now know how badly I need a neck lift before we have a turkey and a parrot in the family.  

In other news, I have been doing a lot of thinking about how to redesign my life.  The little job awoke in me the need to do something, accomplish something worthwhile but not in a 9 to 5 kind of way. Volunteering is a commitment I not ready to make so I'm trying to expand my life in other ways. 

So, I've been reading a lot on a wide variety of subjects.  Religion has never been my cup of tea.  I love many things about going to church - kneeling, prayers, hymns, stained glass windows - but I've never really had Faith or belief.  I started reading "The Monastery of the Heart" by Joan Chittister which attempts to redefine the Rule of Benedict (as in St. Benedict and the Benedictine Monks) for today's searchers. It spoke to me in a way other religious texts have not.  It has given me some insight into areas I might want to pursue. 

I have also subscribed to the New York Times online.  Damn, I had forgotten what good writing was like after reading jumbled news briefs from other sources.  My brain is still not working good enough for the crossword and other games but hopefully the synapses will start snapping again. 

The knowledge that I will probably move back to the old neighborhood I lived in before they sold my apartment complex has let me anxious.  I'm the child that read the book the day after the book report was assigned because I couldn't stand it hovering over my head.  So, applying that to the apartment, I can't help but search for the new place even though I am pretty sure I will be moving to the new complex the old apartment owners are building.  It irritates me that I can't let go of that need to organize the search when I already have Plan A & B in place.  Some type of control issue, I guess. 

The water aerobics plan didn't work out.  I'm not really a germophobe but I started getting the heebie-jeebies about germs getting into the two little holes punched in my stomach by the diabetic supplies.  Speaking of, my little Sister is still undergoing Cancer treatment.  She had a port inserted high on her chest and his taking the chemo through it.  We only get snapshots of her life when she shares them.  She doesn't want company.  My middle sister and daughter want to bring laughter to her but as a rape survivor, I tell her go ahead and cry.  Your life is hard, and it hurts, while secretly I just hope she lives through it. 

I also ran across a website called Wondriumdaily when I was trying to look up something about Middle Ages England.  It has a wonderful explanation that clearly answered my question.  I don't know what all areas it covers but if you're always looking for answers on the internet, you might enjoy it too.  

Guess that catches you up for now.  More later ... 


7 comments:

  1. I think you're wise to get up the swimming pool due to the reason you stated. They aren't always on top of germs in those pools. When I was using a WMCA pool 5-6 years ago they were scooping poop out the water not more than 20 feet away from me.

    Good luck on your search/s. I know that restless feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a LOT more to religion and spirituality than Christianity, that's for sure. Sister Joan Chittister is a good place to start reading but don't stop there! Women are redefining spirituality for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure glad you got that sugar under control. We used to order Jim's needles from Amazon. Costco also had some good prices. That bird is so cute. I think being in limbo about where you will be living is stressful. So hang in there. I'm glad you're allowing your sister to get through the tough times in her own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't quite up with your moves but I understand about the need to get things done ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got through the sugar imbalance. That had to be scary.
    Not knowing where you will be living for sure has to be unsettling. Hope you can get your plan A's and B's in order and can relax a bit.
    Also hope your sister can get through the treatment OK. Know it is hard when you want to help but can't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy. Glad the sugars are under control.

    Spirituality is something I haven’t explored in some time. Hmmm…

    How is Buddy these days?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Start with the Mon and Tues NYT crossword -- they're the easiest. They get harder as the week goes on. Glad your diabetes is under control ... and good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete