Friday, August 21, 2020

We can only be hopeful for the future

I did manage to watch bits and pieces of the entire Convention.  There were a few snags but I think it went pretty well.  My favorites were Elizabeth Warren and the former Surgeon General.  Lots of little blurbs from everyday people which was nice.  All in all, I think I liked it better than the adult-themed pep rally that is the norm for Conventions.  I did miss the balloon drop but that is all I missed about it.  I only watched it to see what it would be like and I'm sure most people who watched had already made up their mind like I have.  I don't think they really convince anybody who is undecided so it was a lot of money for what.  Personally, I think they should do away with the electoral college and just have the popular vote but there is so much I don't know about politics that my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee - but not at Starbucks.

The next couple of months are going to be awful.  He will stir up so much anger and hatred.  Then if he is re-elected he will go after every person who spoke against him and make all the little people pay.  I really feel hopeless about the whole thing.  But, life goes on, and if I'm lucky, I'll hear be able to miss most of the rhetoric until it is over.   

I do have a new TV option to keep me busy.  I had to renew my Xfinity internet connection.  They don't want you to have just internet so they wrap a package up that is cheaper than the internet alone (which is still too much for a retired lady).  Last package I had they gave me a few tv channels which I never watched and didn't plug in the box.  I have a Roku TV and although Roku offers some free channel I usually watch Netflix or Prime Video.  

This time they gave me a cable box but call it a flexbox that carries Peacock.  I don't know all the ins and outs yet but I was able to start watching Yellowstone with Kevin Costner.  It is set in beautiful Montana (or at least says it is) and the sky, trees, rolling hills, and mountains are to die for.  If I were a young thing I'd be packing my bags, it calls my name so strongly.  

I'll give you my opinion of Peacock after I've given it a good test.  

That's about all I know.  

More later ....


5 comments:

  1. I'm afraid you're probably right, the next couple of months are going to be awful, full of anger and hatred. Maybe we, the watching and voting public, should just go on strike -- turn off the TV, don't go on the internet, simply ignore all the vitriol (probably 95% of us know how we're going to vote anyway, so what's the point?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really haven't watched the convention. I have made up my mind and don't need to be sold. They are preaching to the choir here. Me too on doing away with the electoral college. About time. Wonder if that will ever happen. I dread all the negative adds that will be coming. Come on November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched a bit of the convention too. We get the US networks and cable channels and while we can avoid US politics, it is interesting in small doses to this Canadian. It should be an interesting few months. I’ll watch for the highlights or should I say lowlights?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The convention serves the purpose of giving the party a lot of material for commercials and sound bites. I watched every minute of the Democratic convention and I will do the same next week with the Republican convention. I loved the speeches that both Obama's gave and Jill Biden's. Melania starts it out for Trump and I hope it's live after all the fuss that Donald made about Michelle's being on tape.

    ReplyDelete